Plans for Horned Goat Feeders
Both Adult and Adolescent or Doe Feeders
These horned goat feeder plans are the culmination of 6 years of progressive development to minimize waste while feeding multiple horned goats while keeping them from entering the feeder. This feeder design is easily customized and is for use underneath a shelter. For outdoor feeders, keep corner posts long as noted below and see instructions for roof construction in the next lesson.
Winter 2020 Update: After implementing this feeder design I had to reduce my feed amounts particularly in winter. During the height of the packing season I pour on the feed to keep weight on my packers. During the winter I’ve had to cut back and use less feed due the the reduced waste, my goat’s were getting too fat! I’ve since reduced their winter feed to 1/2 flake per goat morning and evening. It took a day or two for them to adjust but now they eat everything including stems! Not only does it nearly eliminate waste but it saves on feed costs!
The design for the horned goat feeder plans:
This horned goat feeder maximizes the number of goats able to feed at once while minimizing waste due to multiple features. It also makes for easy cleaning and restocking of feed. This design maximizes space by feeding more than 3 goats at once. The width is ideal for allowing dominant and subdominant goats to feed across from each other. This prevents one alpha goat from dominating an in-line system or single feed area.
Additionally, the dividers limit goats to individual stalls. This allows them visibility to escape incoming dominants. The multi-sided feeder design provides feeding opportunities for at least 3 goats and up to 8 or 10 goats depending on herd dynamics. This feeder system uses minimal costs for materials and provides the greatest feeding opportunity for many goats. This design is not intended for commercial use but is ideal for smaller herds.
The plans offered in this course provide a full materials list, list of tools required, cuts to make, and assembly instructions. Images are also included showing assembly and measurements. No difficult cuts or angles are required! These are the best horned goat feeder plans for residential goat owners.
The plans you purchase are all online-based. You will have a login for your “account” and access the plans and any other courses you purchase with this login. This way the course materials and videos are always there for you to access.
Waste minimizing features of this design include:
- 4” gap below the feeder where goats can reach underneath and feed from the nutrient rich chaff that falls through the utility panel feeder floor.
- Crossbars over the goats horns forces goats to maneuver slightly to enter the feeder and keep their heads in and down while they feed.
- Crossbars however are not so low as to inhibit a quick escape if a dominant goat comes in.
- The combination of the crossbars and dividers keeps goats from jumping into the feeder and soiling the feed.
- The middle divider keeps feed accessible to goats while making it uncomfortable and inconvenient for any baby goat that tries to jump in.
- The open top design makes placing feed inside effortless and is easily compatible for roofing or slot feeding designs.
- Finally, the compact low cube design of this feeder makes it easy to clean by tipping it up and
propping it with an object. It is then easy to pitchfork feed that has fallen through the utility panel
and actually recycle good feed from underneath.
Ultimately these are the best horned goat feeder plans to date for feeding multiple horned goats at once.
After you purchase your course should you have issues logging into it, follow these steps. Many times, there are browser cookie issues.
- Log out of your account completely.
- Log back in.
- In your account when you start on the first lesson and complete it, click on “mark this complete”. It will pop you right into the next lesson. Repeat this step as you move through the course.
If this doesn’t work, log back out of your account. In the upper right-hand corner of your browser there is 3 little dots. Click on those and then click on “New Incognito Window”. A new darkish window will open and then login to your account. Go through the steps above.
There are no reviews yet.