California bander is a simple tool that makes it easy to castrate! The banding process is less stressful and a clean way to castrate.
California Bander: Banding Method:
The California Bander is the easiest and most versatile method of wethering (castrating) male goats. You can easily do it on your own without a vets help or facilitation. We recommend doing it at about 4-6 months of age. This is because it allows the urethra to fully develop, which will help avoid issues of Urinary Calculi. When you wether this late, the testicles are very large and the California Bander is the best tool for the job by far (I like it much more than Burdizzo and traditional cutting by a vet). The constriction of the band causes the testicles to die on their own. After about 2 weeks, the testicles will be dead, (they should be hard and dry). Use a hoof trimmer to cut them off above the band and allow to heal. Once the testicles are cold and dry the tissue has died and can be removed. The California bander is easy, simple and a clean way to castrate your bucks. Be sure to have a fresh CD and T vaccination administered to your goat a day or so in advance of the banding.
After Cutting Bucks:
Banamine can do a lot for your goat after any method you choose. It helps relieve pain and inflammation as well as reduce fevers. The dosage is dependent on the weight of your goat and you just pour it down their back (pour on) or you inject it. Our goal is to provide as much information as possible so you can make an informed decision on what’s best for your goats. Remember your goat’s temperament and your environment may influence your decision.
California Bander is sold separately from the bands. You will need to purchase the bands too.
California Bander is a simple, easy way to castrate!
BEFORE YOU START!
Try rolling up a towel to simulate a scrotal sack.
Practice a few times to get a feel for the tool and the bands.
Be sure and watch our tutorial video.
We highly recommend our horned goat stanchion to do the castration safely. The stanchion is great for trimming your goat hooves, milking and taking care of any health needs to keep your goat standing still.
1. The bands come pre-assembled and easy to use!
2. Begin by slipping the left hand in the tool.
3. With the right hand, place the clip of the band into the slot of the tool.
4. Hold the free end of the band between the 1st and 2nd fingers of the left hand. Doing so will help the clip stay steady while you stretch the Band. Grasp the scrotal sac and hold the tool firmly against it.
5. With your right hand, reach around the scrotal sac and grab the free end of the rubber tubing. Stretch the band a little downward and away from yourself with about 14 to 17 lbs of pull or until there is no more free stretch.
6. Pull the stretched band around the scrotal sac.
7. Lock the band into the clip by pulling the stretched band down the center slot all the way to the bottom. When the clip is down, pull the band to the right corner of the “T” slot on the clip to lock it.
8. Release the clip from the tool by slightly tipping it backward. this will leave the band with the clip attached on the scrotal sac. (Fig 8) The rubber tube does not need to come off.